Palouse-Rock Lake Conservation District is continuously working to make our website accessible to all, please let us know if we need to make changes in our design to accommodate your needs.

Office Address: 3 N. park downtown St. John, WA. ~ Mailing Address: PO Box 438 St. John, WA 99171 ~ Phone: 509-648-3680 Fax: 509-648-3772

As a Whitman County delegated Agricultural Burn Permit Authority, our service includes answering questions about the Program and its criteria; offering alternatives to field burning as applicable; assisting applicants in the completion of the Department of Ecology’s Agricultural Burn Permit Application; reviewing submitted applications; and issuing agricultural permits.

​All burning by commercial agricultural operations requires a permit except burning natural vegetation along fence lines, irrigation and drainage ditches, or natural vegetation blown by the wind. Even if a permit is not required, a grower must still comply with all fire safety regulations of the local fire protection agency (fire departments) including any no-burn directives it may issue.

Field Burning: A field burn permit would be appropriate when the area you are planning to burn is pre-identified and definable. Any pre-identified area, no matter the size, is considered a field and would require a field permit which is issued from a completed Application for Field Burning.  If more than one ‘field’ is being burned, additional Field Burn Detail sheets will be necessary.  Wind rows are considered a field burn.

Spot Burning: A spot burn permit is used when a grower does not have a ‘pre-identified’ area to burn. It provides an opportunity to burn unforeseen and unpredicted small area where burning is reasonably necessary and no practical  alternative exists. It’s most commonly used to burn small weed patches, spots of heavy residue, equipment plugs and harrow dumps. A spot burn permit allows the holder the opportunity to burn spots equaling up to a total of 10 acres per farm per year and is good for the calendar year.

Additional information may be found at the Department of Ecology’s Agricultural Burning home page.

Agricultural Burn Permit Program